Health Sector Focus: Identifying the Biggest Challenges in Delivering Learning
In summer 2011, Aurion Learning hosted an e-learning masterclass in Dublin. Delegates came from the Irish Health Services Executive (national health service), health agencies, hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies from across Ireland, and included human resources, IT and training professionals. They all had one thing in common – responsibility for delivering learning and development across their organisations. Several delegates were already experienced in delivering e-learning and blended learning projects, while others hadn’t yet started the journey of online learning.
During the event, we wanted to get a better understanding of the challenges learning and development professionals in the health sector are facing today and so we carried out some market research with our delegates.
Here are our findings:
What is the biggest learning & development challenge facing your organisation today?
- Lack of funding /resources/manpower
- Lack of time to develop training
- Securing management commitment
- Learners not being given enough time to actually participate in training
- Lack of structured training / continuing professional development
- Identify what we want to do and can do – moving from strategy to implementation
- Responding to learning needs with small training budgets
- Achieving relevance
- Adopting a coherent coordinated approach across a large organisation – multiple departments & contacting trainees.
- Speed of delivery
- Lack of confidence/competence in use of e-learning
Getting others on-board / Culture change
- Changing the organisational culture into a learning culture
- Securing buy-in from management & staff to blended and e-learning programmes
- Low staff motivation
- Resistance to change (moving from traditional face-to-face model to e-learning)
- Knowing which technology to choose to support learning (learning management systems, e-learning authoring tools, learning portals etc.)
- IT support
- Staff access to IT systems and technologies (restriction to many educational websites/firewalls)
- Administration support & maintenance of any systems developed.